Is there a simple way to achieve perfect straight hair by yourself that looks like you just come out of a salon? Of course! Follow these easy guidelines, you can get salon result straight hair at home even you have extremely thick and coarse hair.
Proper tools and products are a must to achieve perfect straight hair. You will need:
- A blow dryer, preferably one with ionic technology because it will seal in hair moisture and dry your hair faster with less damage; check out 3 Best Ionic Hair Dryers recommended.
- A detangling comb, to make sure your hair is smooth and tangle-free before straightening.
- Straightening products like serums or gels, to protect your hair from heat damage caused by hot straightening tools;
- Hair clips, to section hair for easy styling;
- A good quality hair straightener with ceramic or tourmaline plates or a combination of both, which will work to give best results without damaging your hair like those poor quality ones. CHI, Sedu and Babyliss hair straighteners are well received as top quality straighteners among the industry.
Here are the five simple steps that lead to perfect, salon-result straight hair:
Step 1: Wash and condition your hair
Straightening your hair at high temperatures can result in damage, so it is very important to condition your hair while washing it. And if you do hair straightening quite often, it is recommended you use a deep conditioner.
Step 2: Detangle
Gently wrap wet hair with a towel to blot excess water, then comb hair with a wide-toothed detangling comb to get out the knots. Make sure your hair is tangle-free before blow drying and straightening.
Step 3: Blow dry
Your hair should be completely dry before you could apply a hot straightener on it. Use a blow dryer while running your fingers through hair to get the excess water out.
Remember to aim your blow dryer's nozzle down, in the same direction as the hair shaft, to close the hair cuticle and keep hair frizz-free. This will help your hair lay flatter and smoother for easy straightening.
Step 4: Use a flat iron
Divide hair into manageable sections and secure with hair clips.
Turn on your flat iron and wait a few seconds till it heats up.
Keep the heat around 250 degrees so that it is hot enough for most hair types and won't scorch hair. For especially thick or coarse, curly hair, you might want to turn up the heat.
Starting at the crown of your head, clamp the iron over one section and pull it all the way from the roots down to the ends. Go over the section more than once, if necessary, until it is perfectly straight.
Continue straightening each section around your head and finish at the front of your head.
Step 5: Mist slightly for hold
After all hair has been straightened, apply a slight mist to add shine and smooth out any bits of hair that are sticking up.